My First Listicle Ever?
This was so much fun!
This is a first for me. The coolest thing was, I wasn’t tagged by one, but THREE friends…ON THE SAME DAY!
How awesome is that?
It wasn’t hard for me to come up with a list, actually. I had to leave out a bunch of things and find some interesting way to say it because the lists from those three awesome ladies got me giddy with excitement.
Here are 40 things I love, in no particular order, sieved from hundreds.
- Organizing stuff. My wife thinks I’m on the spectrum because of this. I love to know where I kept what I’m looking for and derive pleasure from finding it there.
- First person shooter video games. Top preference? The Call of Duty Series. Specifically Modern Warfare II. I literally cried when ‘Soap’ McTavish died. I played Halo (the first one) with my brother from start to finish over 30 times.
- Hannah Reid, lead singer of the British band London Grammar.
- Listening in on conversations in public and in private especially when I don’t have to take part in them.
- The smell of coffee. I know it’s cliché, and I’m no coffee snob, but I sniff my cup before I drink. Every. Single. Time. And also while drinking.
- The smell of books. New. Old. Whatever. I just love sniffing books. Which always ends with me getting a running nose from dust.
- Writing, obviously.
- Discovering a song I love being used in a show I love.
- Donnie Yen in any of his movies, especially Ip Man.
- Rick and Morty.
- Mountain skylines on snowy days just when the sun fights through.
- Asian food. Top on this list? Phô!
- Reading at any time of the day.
- Reading my favorite book a few time a year: The Alchemist
- Anime. Fantasy, magic and martial arts inspired anime: Bleach, One Piece, Baki, Shingeki No Kyojin.
Sports-inspired anime: Kuroko No Basket, Captain Tsubasa.
- Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock.
- Watching my wife take over a room with her personality. She’s the opposite of who I am and I love not having to do any of that socializing thing that humans do
- My wife.
- Taking random photos of my wife.
- Watching from the passenger seat as the car drives on roadsides, buildings, other cars and especially long green streaks of land or white bands of snow.
- The people at my Church — Smoky Hill Vineyard.
- Playing chess with a physical board.
- Dialogue by Aaron Sorkin.
- Playing with kids. They get me more than adults and they don’t really care about what I want to be when I grow up.
- Twizzler s— the smaller pack with shorter strings.
- Pickles — preferably spicy.
- Finding the word stuck at the tip of my tongue.
- Listening to my father talk about his father.
- My mother’s laugh.
- My sister, Raissa, whenever she’s explaining something she’s into.
- The super random voice notes from my baby sister Leila where she repeats my name over and over really fast with increasing pitch.
- Playing video games with my brother, Steve.
- When my best friend, Tsi, sends me a random video or song with a hidden message that only I would get.
- Being overly sarcastic with people who truly get it.
- Any playlist with Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne, Evanescence, Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, and Bullet for my Valentine.
- Getting a buzz, on purpose, with my other writer friends while talking about our very peculiar love: creating.
- Getting lost in a YouTube hole while doing research.
- The morning hours when everyone is asleep and I can hear my breathing.
- The moment I finish any first draft of anything.
- The Medium community that has become my family.
There you have it, 40 things that each bring me joy and make me feel grateful and loved. Of course, the only way to end this list would be to tag 40 other writers. I chose the number 40 because…
I have no reason.
Joren van Schaik, Matthew Kent, Jonathan Greene, Scott Short, Erika Chaudhary, Sandra Ebejer, Marley K., Ameaka, Awanto Margaret, Shani Awena, Monsieur N., Alexandre “Xtincell” D, CHARLENE C., Elena Tucker, Trisha Traughber, Jason Weiland, Luke Rowley, Edith Tollschein, Shanthi Cumaraswamy Streat, Zarina Dara 🥀💃🏻, Ida Adams, Shae Jackson, Justin Norman, Alexandra Baker, Violet Escalera, Dr. Christine Bradstreet 🌴, Frank McKinley, Nicole Akers, Glenna Gill, Chad Allen Zollinger, Elena Mutonono, Benjamin Bogle, Roy A. Ngansop, Ayah, Janis Cox, Michelle Monet, Nicole Cooper, Erika Sauter, Dharmesh Basapati, C. Befoune, Kay Bolden and Nupoor Raj.
Let’s see who counts.
If you’ve already written yours, please leave a link to your story in the comments section.
You can read the three initial posts below:
This One Looks An Awful Lot Like A Listicle by Shannon Ashley.
40 Things I Love by Jae Hermann
40 Things I Love by Cheney Meaghan
Thank you for reading this. Here’s a parting gift — ladies and gentlemen, London Grammar’s Hannah Reid.